Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Week 6, Assignments 2 and 3

I looked at the Prezi on genres and subgenres and chose to evaluate three that I haven't read extensively in: Military Romance, Christian Urban Fiction, and Cyberpunk.

Military Romance

Turns out there are a lot of sites devoted to Military Romance. I chose to focus on one called "For the Love of Military Romance". Some authors featured are Cat Johnson, Heather Long, and Sharon Hamilton. The appeal factors of this genre include military action along with the romance plot line. The story usually occurs in the modern era, with a fast paced plot that includes a main romance story line and often includes an engaging military sub plot.

Christian Urban Fiction

I googled Christian Urban Fiction to find other sites devoted to the genre, in addition to the resource I have been following since week 1. There are many to choose from, and I looked at one on the Black Expressions Book Club page. Most of the sites, like this one, are trying to sell you the books, but they are good sources to see what's up and coming in the genre. Some Christian Urban Fiction authors are Vanessa Davis Griggs, Reshonda Tate Billingsley, and Kendra Norman-Bellamy. They usually involve modern story lines and characters whose religion helps them through tough issues.

Cyberpunk

Bestsciencefictionbooks.com lists "The Best 25 Cyberpunk Books". The top three are Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Neuromancer by William Gibson, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. This site is nice because it suggests similar titles to everything on the list. Key characteristics of the genre are plotlines featuring humans interacting with computers and technology, and dark or pessimistic visions of the future.

Mash-ups

Books often cross the line between subgenres. I'll use examples of two titles I recently read. A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick, could fall under Historical Fiction, Romance, Suspense, or even a little bit in Mystery. The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton could also fall under Historical Fiction, Romance, Suspense or Mystery.

No comments: